Personal Finance Musing 11: My Book "Musings of a (financially) Illiterate Father

BOOK: MUSINGS OF A (FINANCIALLY) ILLITERATE FATHER

By

ANAND SAXENA

Those of you who have been following my blog www.andysfinancial.blogspot.com are aware of my passion to impart financial wisdom to the youth. I have been doing it by the multitude of ways- posts on personal finance, distilled nuggets from personal finance classics Et al.

The heading of this post is not about another book on personal finance which I am reviewing today; instead, this is the title of my book. I was awaiting an opportune moment to break this great news to you all- the moment has finally arrived.

My maiden book entitled, “Musings of a (financially) Illiterate Father- A Common Investor’s Guide to Wealth Creation and Retention, is being published by “Notion Press”, Chennai- India’s largest publishing platform and is likely to be in your hands by mid-July. The book is my labor of love of last one year and has taken me a further struggle of a couple of months to find the right publisher. I had sent my book draft to a number of publishers and was lucky to have 3-4 publishers who showed interest in publishing the book. Anyway, the die is cast now and the book is being edited at this very moment by Notion Press.

But why me? One would expect a book on financial wisdom containing great investment Mantras to be helmed by a rich business tycoon or a successful entrepreneur or a stock market wizard. I clearly fit none of these or any other such roles even remotely. Indeed, whatever I have achieved financially over last three decades is rather modest. Why then did I write a book about financial wisdom? If I had this wisdom wouldn’t I have done better financially myself? 

Please read this book to learn what I did not do towards my personal finance, or did it too late in life. As most of you know, I am not uneducated, in fact far from it. I hold triple Masters Degrees- Master of Science, Master of Philosophy and Master of Management Studies, where one of the subjects was Financial Management. I am also pursuing my Ph.D. But I consider myself financially uneducated as I could not translate my theoretical knowledge into tangible personal financial outcomes. This book thus, is my cry of anguish, a lament of what I could not achieve financially despite having the greatest weapon for financial freedom at my disposal- a steady paycheck, all these 30 years.

I have always felt very strongly about lack of institutional personal financial education in our country. This book is about all the things I would do in the matters of personal finance if I could rewind my life by 30 years. Alas, that is only possible in science fictions like “Back to the Future”, but we can at least ensure that our future- our children and youngsters are put wise on matters of personal finance. My blog is also my humble attempt towards this end.

          Coupled with the lessons from my personal financial mistakes, this book also aims to impart nuggets of distilled wisdom of various financial masters whom I have read- at least fifty of them, to our youngsters or indeed to any common investor, to significantly change their financial futures. I have tried to simplify the esoteric financial jargon to a language that a 20-22-year-old could understand, internalize and apply. The precepts are compiled in the form of short musings which will incrementally add to the financial wisdom of the reader.     

There is no dearth of financial information today, but most of it is about selling some product to the naïve investor- A Stock, B mutual fund, C housing scheme, D bond, E insurance scheme and so on. The altruism to only look at financial well being of the common investor is sadly missing in our financial industry. You pick up any magazine on finance or watch financial news channels- the names of the sponsors themselves are revealing and give away their true intentions.

Our youth today face challenging times. I recently read a news article which stated that for jobs of peons in one of the State, the applicants included B. Tech. and MBA. Even when one gets a job, the pay packages are nothing to write home about. Due to this double-whammy, it is axiomatic that the youth learn to manage their finances more prudently- after all, 35 odd years of investing life has to take care of 25-30 years of retired life- full of rising medical bills and invariably, no pension.

Consider these statistics for a 25-year youth who starts to earn Rs 50,000 per month (net of taxes and deductions), with a nominal 10% rise in income each year, and retires at the age of 60 years. In these 35 years of his earning lifetime, more than Rs 16 crore would have passed through his hands. It is a humongous amount which if invested intelligently can make this youngster seriously rich. If not invested prudently though, the money will slip out like sand from a clenched fist- and mostly does. Search your heart- isn’t it true? The corollary is that the youth must be taught the tenets of personal finance at the earliest. But…who is teaching and indeed who is learning?

I have included all the essential reading resources in the Bibliography of the book, for those who wish to go deeper into the concepts and arm themselves even better. However, even if one has to just read this book without the additional resources mentioned, the benefits are still going to be significant. I have on purpose, kept the chapters Bite-Sized so that they could be tackled one or two at a time and thus incrementally add to the financial wisdom of the reader. The chapters are more in form of concepts which need to be understood and applied rather than the factual data which is liable to change over time.

Since this book is about imparting investing fundamentals to a common investor, I have sent out the draft of the book to many prominent personalities in the country- former Union ministers, financial and banking sector, authors, sportspersons, entrepreneurs, media persons, and actors. In addition, the book is being read by few youngsters too- the intended recipients. I will share their views on the book as we go along with our conversations over next few weeks.

My book thus contains the musings which I wish to communicate to my children as a (financially) illiterate father who embarked upon the journey of financial wisdom and knowledge and having acquired it, wishes to leave this as a legacy with them or indeed with any child.

We will be traversing this journey towards financial wisdom and peace in the book along with our two protagonists- Anshreya and HoneyCool, whose gender will keep changing throughout the book (I dare not be labeled as a chauvinist).

Next Sunday, the 27th of May, I will be putting up a short clip on the book for a more detailed insight. I will also be giving tidbits about my experiences as an author into the big bad world of publishing (pun intended). The wannabe writers amongst you may be interested.

Signing off for today; looking forward to your support in this crucial journey towards publishing the book. My impassioned plea- please make this book available to as many youngsters as possible to improve their financial future. They deserve the best, and we owe it to them.




Comments

  1. Sounds like a compelling read! Would love to gift a copy to my young girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can assure you that it's going to be one of the best gifts ever for them. Warm regards.

      Delete
  2. Sir, a great initiative..I am sure to pick up this book and also prescribe it to friends and family. Rightly said, in today's day and age most financial sites/ books funnel one into investments of their interest. Looking fwd to it. Wish you success with it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rajiv. Support of friends like you is a must in this crucial phase. Warm Regards.

      Delete
  3. Excellent Andy. The way you have put across your views, the book will be a must read. Will pick it up on launch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deepak. Request share with near and dear ones. Warm Regards.

      Delete
  4. Excellent Andy. The way you have put across your views, the book will be a must read. Will pick it up on launch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anand your book will be a rage. My best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bhaiya. Require your support and blessings. Warm Regards.

      Delete
  6. Hi Anand, there was never a doubt about your talent and sincerity but book on the subject is a pleasent surprise. Surely I will read it and also recommend to others, but not sure of grasping it fully. Also would like to wish you all the luck
    Rangi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rangi. Your modesty remains intact as ever. Request share this post to people in your part of the world too, for the book contains universal precepts. Warm Regards

      Delete
    2. Hi Anand, have been following your blogs. What an interesting read. Realise what an opportunity our generation has missed.... Hope with your guidance our kids would not miss it

      Delete
    3. Thanks sir. You have been very appreciative.

      Delete
  7. Anand sir....Dil bag bag ho gaya....Eagerly waiting for release

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sudhir. Request share in your organisation too.

      Delete
  8. Anand, Looking forward to the release of your book.....I am sure it will be a great success with the youth as well as the 'financially illiterate' parents like me. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True sir, our generation was never too financially savvy. This book is my fightback against this ignorance.

      Delete
    2. It is indeed interesting to see that a book on the subject is being published. I and many of my friends would be interested in reading them and practicing the theories propounded therein I am sure you would have highlighted the magic of compounding in the book.

      Delete
    3. Absolutely. Right in the first few chapters. Thanks for following.

      Delete
    4. Anand
      Most impressive, I look forward to reading your book and taking eradicative measures even though belated. Accolades for your brilliant effort. Only an erudite person like you can put it together.
      Regards
      Rakesh Kapoor

      Delete
    5. Very kind words sir. Grateful.

      Delete
  9. Absolutely right Sir. Most of us, in Services, have never been financially savvy, and infact finance has been our last or we may say no priority at all...Your publication is going to be a great guidance.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anand, eagerly waiting for the book-release. I am a fan of your articulation as such. The book promises to benefit young and old at any stage in life. Double bonanza !! Would recommend all to possess a copy.Congratulations. Really creative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best part of this book is
    it is written in a plane and simple language so that things related to finance can be easily understood by any person effortlessly.
    It gives numerous ideas to those persons who have little knowledge about personal finance rather they think that they are financially uneducated and how they can shift their savings towards investment intelligently and counter inflation.
    And at the same time how they can get better rate of interest on their savings.
    After reading this book I can say Families who want to learn strategic planning to grow and preserve family wealth now and for future generations must read this book.
    highly recommended.
    highly recommended.
    highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Adarsh for your kind words

      Delete
  12. I have got to know about this book through a office colleague. I bought this book and read it in 2 days, thanks to the interesting format and simple language used by the author. The book gives you great insight of financial intricities in a very literal language, even a non financial person like me can understand it properly. Earlier i had my doubts about investing in market and equity as well as using credit cards but this book helps you to sail through all the problems and doubts. My favourite chapter is "Test the Water before taking the plunge". I would highy recommend it to buy this book and read it. This is a must buy book for everyone as most of us a "Financially Illeterate". Go ahead and but without thinking twice. 5 stars to author and 5 stars to Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anand ji great research work on personal finance this book will be helpful for those students persuing managment courses.
    Must buy book for all age group persons.
    Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Finance Musing 10: Seven Key concepts from the book "Rich dad Poor dad"

PERSONAL FINANCE MUSING 26 THE MAGIC OF SMALL SAVINGS- I FIRST STEPS TO THE JOURNEY OF THOUSAND MILES